Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mr. C's Autobiography

Once upon a time.  On a lovely Dec 30, some years ago, Stephanie McDaniel went into labor as she sat watching Saturday night fever.  I guess the disco beat was just too much for little Jimmy to handle inside her belly.  That began several hours of labor for the first time mother.  It was probably her stubborn son's way of making sure he was born on Dec 31 to A) ensure the tax break for the year, and B) so that everyone would finally know the true reason to celebrate that day!  His birth!
Yes, I am the other JC.  I will allow Jesus to have the big birthday the week before, but not to be outdone on the 31st is me. 
I was born James Edward McDaniel III that bright morning in Tampa, FL.  And, the rest is history.
Through a series of unfortunate events a little too personal for the blogosphere, My mother and I stepped out on our own to live with the 2nd most amazing woman in my life my grandmother Janice.  These two women molded me and helped me become who I am today.  Their strength, grace, and self-assurance have truly lended themselves to who I am. 
My mother later met a dashing younger man in a Air Force Base night club (not seedy), and fell in love with his bass playing, silver lame' shirt wearing self and they eventually got married.  Once he had my approval.  Ken Chrismon was to become the father I never had.  He brought strength, masculinity, discipline, and love to our home.  I would later acquire my first little brother, Glenn.  I was the proudest big brother in the world.  I tried my hand at the tee-ball and baseball thing, and got the obligatroy participation trophies.  Mostly it was for standing in left field chasing bugs.  I did find my niche in gymnastics.  I loved the artistic qualities, the focus, the strength. 
After years of trying, and numerous contestations from my birth father, fate would have it one fall day that he didn't show up to court, and I was legally adopted.  Making ken my father and a new name.  James Douglas Chrismon... just keeping things fresh for you all.
We moved to Charlotte from the tiny town outside of Atlanta called Powder Springs.  4th grade was a huge year for me. 
Went to a very rough middle school, but loved it.  I thrived in diversity even though middle school was a trying time in my life.  In middle school was hen my grandmother Janice died of Cancer.  This is a scar I still feel very deeply to this day, but her presence and the direction my life has taken have definitely been colored and guided by her ever present smile in my life and heart. 
High school brought about new changes with mom and dad sending me to a magnet school for science, math, and technology.  Did I mention I liked band and chorus?  Math and Science not so much. 
But it was a chance for me to make a new start, new friends, and give the school system a new chance.  I loved Harding University High School.  I marched in the marching band, was drum major for three years, excelled in my courses, was respected by my teachers, peers, and community.  church was a huge deal for me and working part time at Chuck E Cheese's Pizza filled my weekends and summers.  I also began participating with the Drama Club and got leads in several of the spring productions by the time I graduated.  I was in the top 7% of my class and received a full ride on a NC Teaching Fellows Scholarship to UNCCharlotte. 
Loved UNCC.  this is where I fell in love and found my calling as a theatre teacher.  The music and elementary education thing didn't work out.  but Koko Thornton drug me to an audition across campus that first year.  We were cast in leads together in the mainstage show of the semester.  I took a creative drama class and instantly knew this was where God wanted me.  I was to be a theatre teacher. 
And that is what happened.  I student taught at Butler High School with the incredible Barbara Mager.  Had my first job before I even finished my student teaching.  Started that fall at Vance High School where I taught for 5 years. 
During this time Pippin adopted me and we are now life long companions.  He is getting up in years but still loves to cuddle with me all the time.  Pippin is my dog.  My son.
I performed and taught a lot in Charlotte at this time and made my way to Rock Hill for a production of You're A Good Man Charlie Brown.  This would eventually put me in with the right people to get an interview for the new South Pointe High School in Rock Hill.  I wasn't the first choice, but Dr. Leonard would later say I was the choice he wanted all along.  Here I am.  I have been here ever since. 
Since then, I finished my Masters from UNCGreensboro, am a National Board Certified teacher, launched a very successful production company called The Edge Theatre Company, and last year received the SC Theatre Educator of the Year. 
I am currently working on my Doctorate Degree from Gardner-Webb University.  I live in Charlotte in the trendy arts area called NoDa.  i work at The Melting Pot making Fondue when i have time. 
And, i also cuddle with one more little dog named Boq.  he's my other pride and joy. 
Somewhere in all this I missed introducing my baby brother that was born when we moved to Charlotte.  Scotti is the wild spirit.  Both my brothers are married with lovely wives, my sisters in law.  Still weird to say.
But, I am happy.  I keep busy.  I love my home.  I love my job, I love my family.  I love my students. 
That's me in a nutshell.  My mini autobiography.  Sorry it is so long class.  But, I am about twice your age.  :)
Oh and I love PURPLE, MADONNA, SUE SYLVESTER, and GLEE.

2 comments:

  1. You would be born to disco music! My mom went into labor when the Andy Griffith show theme was playing. When I did tee ball I was either dancing in the out feild or running the bases the wrong way, yeah I was that kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you started with your mom going into labor hahaha. I played Tee-ball too!! well, sort of, I was too shy to actually get up and go hit the ball, so I would sit and pout on the bench. I still got a trophy though! And I use to go to Chucky Cheese's all the time! I loved it there!

    ReplyDelete